Find out how whisper coaching can make your remote sales training just as impactful as in-person training.
The reality of call centers and phone sales has changed drastically in the past few years. What was once an in-person setup turned into remote operations to adapt to changes in the world. Of course, there are pros and cons to this, but one thing that hasn’t changed is the necessity of training a sales team. And one of your most powerful tools is whisper coaching.
Your team of new hires can watch training videos, read manuals, study sales techniques, and even roleplay and make sales calls to one another. But until they pick up the phone and speak with real customers, there’s only so much they can learn. It’s like driving; you have to get behind the wheel to truly understand how the gas and brakes and steering all work together as you navigate a busy road.
You also don’t have to drive that busy road on your own. An experienced driver sitting beside you can point out obstacles or suggest when you should slow down or accelerate. They can guide you on how to react to other vehicles and pedestrians. Whisper coaching is similar.
When your salespeople get “behind the wheel,” they don’t need to make the call alone as they try to figure everything out or determine how well their approach is working. More specifically, though, what benefits come with whisper coaching?
Call Logic’s auto-dialer and call management software offers dozens of helpful tools to increase your success and simplify your daily tasks. Call for your free consultation today to learn more!
The 5 benefits of whisper coaching that you don’t want to miss
In case you aren’t familiar, whisper coaching allows a manager or trainer to listen in on sales calls without interrupting the salesperson or the customer. However, if the need arises, the manager can speak to the salesperson without the customer hearing. If you’ve made any service calls in the recent past, you’ve likely heard an announcement along the lines of “this call may be monitored for quality assurance or training purposes.” That is whisper coaching.
While covering a lot of ground, quality assurance and training purposes are rather vague. So what are the actual benefits of using call software with this feature – especially with a remote sales team?
1. Salespeople aren’t alone. Going back to the driving analogy, it can be a little scary to get behind the wheel on your own. Similarly, there can be a steep learning curve for phone sales professionals. When a manager is listening in, however, new salespeople know there’s someone there to help them if they get stuck, making it easier to move toward success.
2. Immediate feedback. Whisper coaching allows for immediate feedback. Rather than trying to recall something from a call hours or days ago, employees can find out right away if there’s something they need to change or something they’re doing well that they should continue to enhance.
3. Boosts morale. A well-timed compliment can encourage new and veteran salespeople alike. That’s especially true if they just had a challenging call or have clearly improved in an area.
4. Gives managers a way to train in real situations. No matter how robust your training program is, there’s no way to cover every possible detail of a sales call. But with whisper coaching, you can easily take advantage of any training opportunity that arises. Whether working through an unexpected objection or dealing with a dissatisfied customer, or reminding your salesperson to follow a script if they’re feeling lost, the ability to talk to your team even when they’re remote can make training more concrete and applicable.
5. Improved customer service. If solid customer service is a priority (it is, yes?), then whisper coaching is a great way to ensure your team is focused on providing an excellent customer experience. When you can listen to a call, offer real-time suggestions, and help your salespeople focus on a customer’s needs, that guarantees you’re doing everything you can to be the best. Ultimately, of course, the goal is for a salesperson to know the products and services well enough that they don’t need a manager to guide them. But certainly, when starting out, especially in a remote sales environment, it’s helpful to have some additional direction.
It’s important to point out that while there are plenty of benefits to whisper coaching, it’s also a tool to use with a delicate touch. For example, your salespeople need to make some minor mishaps and fumble through calls. Mistakes are an essential part of the growth process.
Similarly, avoid the temptation to micromanage. No salesperson will perform well with someone watching and judging everything they do.
Whisper coaching can be a powerful addition to your remote sales training program. All you have to do is take advantage of it.
Make more calls in less time with Call Logic. From donor profile management to automated voicemails to built-in compliance, we’ve got you covered in every aspect of your business. Call for your free consultation today to learn more!