Whether you’re new to the insurance game, or you’ve been playing for a long time, there are certain tips and tricks that every insurance agent should know, regardless of what type of insurance you’re selling. But if you’re specifically trying to be successful at selling car insurance, you have to keep three things in mind from the get-go:
- Car insurance isn’t just a suggestion, it’s the law. Anyone who owns a car has to have it, so you already have an advantage – use it wisely.
- Only you know your strengths and weaknesses – if you try too much, you will lose just as much.
- If you think like a buyer (because you’ve probably been one before), it will help you keep your eyes on the prize.
So, like anything in life, if you have the right perspective and motives, you can do just about anything, including selling car insurance. If you want to be able to sell insurance in your sleep, here are 10 tips to get you there:
Selling Auto Insurance In Your Sleep
- Know the laws – If you’re new to this type of work, you need to make sure you know the laws of the state you live in and what the procedures are for proper licensing. If you’re not covered legally, your clients won’t be either.
- Surround yourself with a good team – Flying solo may work for some, but in the insurance realm, working with a good, honorable team can make a huge difference. Not only will it be attractive to possible leads (the average customer sees a team as more secure than a single agent), but your team will have your back.
- Be honest – No one likes a shifty salesperson. If your priority is to be honest and fair, your customers will see that and trust can be built. A loyal customer is not only great for your bottom line, it can bring in new leads faster with their word of mouth.
- Only sell what is necessary – Some auto insurance salespeople try to take advantage of the fact that everyone needs car insurance, and they’ll oversell because there are people out there who are uninformed or naive to what is required. Make sure you’re providing the right amount of coverage for them to be protected, but not so much that they end up paying for things they don’t need.
- Treat others the way you want to be treated – some people call it the Golden Rule: “Do unto others what you would have done unto you.” If you treat others with honesty and respect, they’ll treat you the same way. That goes for selling insurance, for being forthright about your financial practices, admitting when you are wrong or need help, and going above and beyond what is required, simply because it’s the right thing to do.
- Brush up on (or learn) customer service skills – If you’ve never worked with people in a retail or sales position before, you may not understand what true ‘customer service’ entails. Understand boundaries for you and your clients, always be willing to help, give good answers when questions are asked, and go the extra mile. Your customers will thank you.
- Think practically – If you handle a lot of business over the phone, use whatever tools you need to make more calls and close more deals. If you write a lot of emails, notes or letters, make sure you proofread all of your written communication to show your professionalism. If you meet a lot of your clients in person, make sure you dress for success. If you need help with communication, get it! It may sound mundane, but practicality can be your best friend.
Talk to us about your needs and we’ll show you how Call Logic can help your business.
Sign up for our free trial now and let our experts show you the benefits.
- Practice active listening – You may not know it, but there really is a difference between passive and active listening. Passive listening is mechanical and effortless – if you’re awake and your ears work, anyone can listen passively. But it takes more concentration and commitment to listen actively – you’re trying to keep a customer for life, so taking an interest in their life and listening to their needs or wants can help to keep you stay connected.
- Stay positive and persistent – Consumers are looking for the best options out there for everything they need, and auto insurance is one thing they definitely need. But they’re not just looking for the best thing – they’re looking for the best all-around option. They want relationship, trust, and a good deal. If you can commit to staying positive and persistent, it will show to your potential leads. There’s an old proverb that says “You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar”, meaning you will attract more (and better) clientele with positive nicety than by being bitter, stubborn or simply unconcerned.
- Use the best tools – If you’re a surgeon, you will use the best medical equipment available to you. If you are an athlete, you will find a suppliers to meet your needs. If you sell insurance over the phone, there are so many options out there to help streamline and strengthen your tele-business.
If you’re looking for a better way to work over the phone – to be more organized, better equipped, and ultimately more successful, it’s time to check out Call Logic. We have created a user-friendly power dialing system to help you with just that! Our product can help you generate more leads, make more calls, close more deals and keep everything organized in one program. Give us a call today!
Need some incentive to experience the effectiveness of Call Logic?